Monday, August 9, 2010

Propane detector with valve control

Well I began the Holiday week end with the idea I was only going to test my propane system, turn on the gas, and nothing, so I pulled my stock propane detector to discover that 3 of the 4 fuses were blown. So as I added new one they blew as quickly as they were inserted. I began to troubleshoot, it and got the system working just to have it go out again and then I discovered that my ground wired fried.

So I pulled the old unit and began to troubleshoot, only to have the alarm sound every time I added power to it, and it never went off no matter how many times I reset it. To make matters worst the little plastic lever on the on and off switch broke off. So my plan on Sunday was to try and repair this unit, but after sleeping on it and knowing this was not the first problem I had with this stock unit, I decided it was not worth the effort and or the wasted time trying to again repair it, so I decided to pull out the propane solenoid.

So the day started off poorly due to rain and after the weather cleared I started working on removal of the valve, and was surprised how hard it was to break all the joints, to the point I ended up breaking the fitting that is between the propane valve and the regulator.

Thinking that finding the replacement part would be as easy as going to the hardware store, to my surprise no body had the correct part so I ended up going to Ray's RV in Banning and he looked in his stock and he said he did not have the part and most of the time it came as part of a kit, so just as we ready to leave he stopped me and told us that he pulled it off his own rig.





I got home and got everything put back together and was happy that I had enough hose that I did not have to look for something to fill the gap where the valve was removed.

Gave it the smell and soapy water test to make sure there were no leaks, and then I moved forward and tested everything, the stove worked, the heater fired and the hot water heated, so it ended up being a winning week end, at least that part was completely successful, especially being it started off so badly.

No comments:

Post a Comment