Monday, August 9, 2010

A major and minor repair made and or completed this Super-Bowl 2011 week end

Well I completed the wet wiper repairs, the rubber hose that runs into the frame of the wiper blade was hard and damaged and I finally found the correct size hose and got it replaced, I was also able to find the correct parts I need to connect it to the new windshield washer that I installed, so now the system work as it should, I also stripped and repainted the wiper arms

The Major problem the propane system stopped working, the system that was installed is a propane detector with valve control which means that the propane detector control the propane and shuts it off it it detected propane in the coach, so I got now propane delivered to the appliances. I worked on it a few times and all but decided that I would end up by passing the solenoid valve in order to get the propane where we needed it, and this was to be my final attempt, before I ripped that valve out and replaced it with a flange to allow the propane to flow.

I pulled the unit to see if it was getting power and found that all 4 wire got voltage, there were 2 reds one running to each battery and a black and yellow running to the solenoid. this system is a bit different that the ones that can be located now, because the solenoid took approx 9 volts to open and then approx 1.5 volt to keep it open, and the new system ran a full supply of 12 volt at all time which would burn out the existing solenoid, so I am happy I did not have to replace it.

 After the many attempt to discover the problem today I pulled it out of the motorhome and bench tested it with a external 12 volt power supply, and after a few minutes got the alarm to sound making me think that it did work but I discovered I only got the when I power it up with a red lead and the black wire, making me think that maybe I had a ground problem.

So I tested it once powered up and then open the gas valve. This system needed 9 volt once it power up to the yellow wire which powered down to 1.7 volt after the first second or two telling me that it work, so I reinstall it back into the way and nothing. so now what? I pulled it out again an benched test it for the 2nd time and it work, so I told myself that I must have lost my ground wire somewhere., so I reinstall it again adding a jumper wire to a ground and wouldn't you know it , it worked.

 The ground I found was too far away so I tested the water pump and discover I was able to use that ground wire and reinstalled it with a jumper wire got into the ground wire to the water pump tested and was very happy it now works.

So now I think I am all but done and can move to painting the exterior and cleaning and sealing the sofa and chairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment